Chances are you’ve heard of barre classes. Between 2013 and 2015, barre grew by 141%, and nearly one third of the fitness industry is offering some sort of barre class in their group fitness scheduling. If you have been waiting to try this class out, but are unsure what to expect, check out this simple guide. Then all you need to do is show up.
- Barre derives from ballet. Barre takes ballet moves, and a bar of course, and combines them with yoga and pilates. Basically, you focus on small muscular movements, balance, and control to tone the whole body. Your instructor will help you find the right form to get the most out of your workout, similar to a dance class.
- Your abs will feel it. To effectively hold poses and make small repetitions, you will need to engage your core. Even when you are not directly targeting your abs, they will get a little boost with every move. And by tightening your core throughout the whole class, you can improve your form and stability.
- The class isn’t all on the bar. Some of the barre class will be spent on the floor doing abdominal and arm strengthening exercises. Your warm up and cool down may also be off the bar. Remember that every class is different, so get ready for variety and challenge with every sequence.
- You’ll get the hang of it eventually. Barre classes are unlike many other exercise experiences. These group fitness classes challenge your body and engage muscles that you may not often use. While the class might be challenging at first, be sure to stick with it. You will be a pro in no time.
- Barre classes are a blast. Trust us, you’ll have fun. Barre classes are different from typical gyms, since they combine various types of exercise and are intended to be enjoyable. You can also meet some other fitness enthusiasts in the class, giving you even more reasons to come back.
From celebrities to your chatty coworker, everyone is talking about barre — and for good reason. This fitness class will hook you from the first moments, making you feel strong and confident. Sign up today and get ready for the boost of a lifetime.